Thursday, March 21, 2019

Excerpt Day 4

Based on the Prompt: "I am your Empathist. I care so you don't have to."
 
  “My Empathist fees are up another 30% this month.”

  “Yes, it seems they are.”

  “Is this not something I should be concerned about?”

  “No, inflation is typical and prices always tend to go up.”

  “Yes, but, well, see, I researched it, and actually, this price increase is 1781% what is reflected in inflation. I did think perhaps it was because it was a medical cost, because I understand those can increase more quickly than regular costs, but my research yielded that this price increase is also 1390% higher than what’s normal in the industry.”

  “Ah yes, very true, very true. You are very proud of your research abilities.”

  “Thank you.”

  “You’re welcome. However, you did miss something in your research, which is that these price increases are standard in fees for Empathists. Due to the importance of our profession, it makes sense that we should have to charge higher prices for our services. You feel a little foolish for not having realized this.”

  “Ah, I do, yes. I suppose it's just that, well, my son is ill, which as I remember from our last session, I was very sad about, and, see, this price increase makes it more difficult for me to acquire medicine for him, and it appears logical that if his illness makes me sad and this price increase stands in the way of my getting rid of his illness, the price increase should also make me sad.”

  “Ah, see, you misremember. You did not feel sad that your son was ill, you felt guilty. See, it was you who failed to protect your son from illness, and you felt very guilty about that. And now, prices are going up, inflation, as I explained, and you feel guilty for not making more money to be able to afford medicine for your son.”

  “Yes, that is true. I do feel guilty. It is difficult to find an opportunity for better pay though, because I had to sell my vehicle due to price increases for my Empathist a few months ago. It seems, well… yes, it seems, many of my issues are tied to the price increases for my Empathist. It appears logical, then, that perhaps I should no longer have an Empathist.”

  “Oh, no. No. You feel very stupid for that thought. I’m sure you don’t remember what it was like before you had an Empathist, but it was very bad. The extremes of your emotions hurt you badly. Now, though, they do not. See, these issues cause you to experience some difficult emotions, but I absorb the pain for you, and you appreciate that greatly, because now you don’t have to worry about your issues, you are happy now.”

  “Well - yes. Uh, I suppose I am, yes. It just - I don’t know. Do I not feel that something is a little off? It appears logical that - well, I don’t know. I just -”

  “Hey, no, its fine. You’re overthinking it. Sometimes reason can cloud your judgement, but as you know, emotions tend to overpower reason in humans. So let it happen, let your reason cease to confuse you, and understand that you are happy.”

  “...”

  “You are happy. You are dealing with the challenges in life and are a better person for it, and this overjoys you. You deserve to be happy, and you are.”

  “I… suppose. Yes, I am. Thank you.”

  “You’re welcome. I’m glad you’re happy.”

  “Indeed… I’ll see you again next week then?”

  “Yes. Oh, and before I forget, your Empathist prices may be going up again in the near future. You’re not bothered, though.”

  “No, I'm not.”

No comments:

Post a Comment